|HONEY, ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE from Weight Watchers|
Saturday, 16 February 2013
- half tsp low fat spread for greasing. You could use any butter or margarine if you don't need the low fat.
- 6 eggs, separated in two different bowls
- 100 g brown caster sugar, or soft brown sugar.
- Grated zest of 2 oranges, and juice of half orange.
- 150 g ground almonds
Juice of one and a half oranges, or 20mls orange juice
2 tbl sp clear honey
1 orange, pealed and cut into thin rounds.
- Preheat oven to gas mark 180C or 160C in a fan oven.
- Line a 20 cm springform cake tin with baking paper, and grease with low fat spread.
- In a bowl, beat together egg yolks, sugar, orange zest and juice of half orange, and almonds
- Whisk egg whites in a separate, clean grease-free bowl for about 2 mins, or until it is stiff and forms peaks.
- Using a metal spoon, spoon in one table spoon of egg white into mixture to loosen it.
- Fold in the remaining egg whites into cake mixture.
- Pour mixture into cake tin, and bake for 35 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in tin for 20 mins.
To make Topping
- Put the orange juice and honey in a small pan and bring to boil.
- Stir once, and then without stirring, lower the heat, and leave to simmer for about 6-8 mins, or until reduced and syrupy.
- Remove cake from tin and use a fork to prick the top all over.
- Spoon three quarter of the syrup of the top of the cake.
- Arrange the oranges on cake and spoon over the remaining syrup.
- Let the syrup soak into the cake for a few minutes, then serve in 10 slices.
Serve on it's own, or with fromage frais, or clotted cream, or double cream.