Saturday 16 March 2013

Re-Writing

As part of the editing process of The Last Year of Childhood, I have decided to rewrite. It started with rewriting Chapter 1, then went on to Chapter 2, and 3 .... Now I am up to Chapter 8. Tedious as it sounds, I think that what is happening, is that I am using the main plot points, and making some changes where I have identified that change needs to be done.

I am also sharpening up the language, using more active verbs, and trying to concentrate on my characters, who they are, and that they have a good impact on the reader. I am mostly not referring to the previous draft. So I am really cutting out a lot of the bits that were not adding to the story.

Part of me is disappointed that I chose to rewrite, because it feels like a longer process than I wanted. But I am really hoping that it would be another learning curve for me, and with some luck, the next draft will be closer to something more ready for publication.

Something that happens while doing this, is that the brain does fresh thinking, and some aspects of the story turn a different corner - which is a better one. I choose not to turn some of those corners though, because it is easy to chase wild geese! In this draft, I have to choose carefully to make sure the whole thing does not go off course.

The Last Year of Childhood is the new title. Because it concentrates on two young girls, aged 11, and 14, who both have the same dilemma, of a marriage arranged for them, against their will. The book is set in 1917, Trinidad.

No comments:

Post a Comment