PARSNIP AND CHESTNUT ROAST OR STUFING
This is a very tasty recipe which is versatile both for meat eaters as well as vegetarians. I did this at Christmas this year, when I needed to alter my usual Chestnut Stuffing, to one which was suitable for vegetarians, but still retaining the wonderful rich flavour at Christmas. I made this for the Christmas meal at church for 60, and the vegetarians could not believe it was really for vegetarians! I suspect that meant it was a hit. I also made it at our family Christmas lunch.
Apart from anything, this is a nice winter recipe. We had it twice in December, and as soon as my family have forgotten about it, I will be doing it again.
As a Stuffing, this recipe will serve 8-10 people.
As a Main course, it will serve 4-6 people.
It will keep in the fridge for a week, or will freeze.
Ingredients12oz (unpeeled) parsnips. Peeled and chopped in small cubes.
2 eggs beaten
200g chestnut puree
5 sprigs fresh sage - chopped finely - small handful
5 sprigs fresh rosemary - chopped finely - small handful
1 tsp salt
4 oz butter
2 medium onions, chopped small
2 cloves garlic, chopped small
2 tbl spoons olive oil
(optional - pine nuts or softened dried cranberries)
Method- Use a large frying pan and melt butter.
- Add olive oil.
- Add parsnips and onions and cook for 10 min or till soft.
- Add garlic
- Using a large mixing bowl, put in breadcrumbs
- Add rest of ingredients, including the contents of the frying pan.
- Mix evenly with a wooden spoon or using your hand.
- Use an oblong or square oven proof dish, and grease it with butter.
- put all the mixture into the dish and spread it evenly.
- Cover with tin foil.
(This can be kept in the fridge overnight if necessary. But remove it from the fridge for a few hours to bring to room temperature so as not to break the dish when putting it into a hot oven.)
- Heat the oven to 200C, and put into the oven for 20 mins.
- Remove tin foil, and leave in oven for 5 mins.
- Remove from oven, and cut into portions.
Serve with roast potatoes and steamed vegetables.