Thursday 30 December 2010

MEANINGS

Whilst I read for enjoyment, I also read to learn about good writing practices. I read, to see how to good writers write successfully. I read fiction to learn from good novelists. Much but not all of my enjoyment of a novel, comes trying to figure out how the author did it.

MEANINGS ARE IMPORTANT. 

As a reader, I like to know Why? What? How? When? Where? etc.

What I mean is, that I like to know the REASON a character does what he does, behaves how s/he behaves. The Meaning? Any possible Reason. I think that the writer owes it to me, if I am spending my time  to read the book.

Yes, I like a good story, but I prefer one that does not leave me for a long time. I want one that has had an effect on my mind long after I have read the book.

I want to be able to say : -
"Oh yes, now I know why he likes cooking, and touches food the way he does on TV"

....or, "Oh! Now I understand that he is an angry man because ...."

or, "That's why he's so pernickety about his clothing."

 These reasons and meanings help me to see life through the eyes of the character. It helps me to empathize with him or her. It helps me to like, or understand behaviours, when necessary.

This is why I like to write this into my own writing. Because as a reader, I long for the writer to let me into the minds and lives of the characters. Without it, I feel the writing is empty.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marilyn - I agree that the best stories are those that let you get inside a character and experience how they are feeling. These are the stories that stay with you. They are also incredibly difficult to write - and emotionally draining on the author, I would imagine.
    Also - best wishes to your son on his engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally, Thank you for your comment. Yes, knowing how people feel is always difficult, but it's fun trying to find out, isn't it? Once they have a few set characteristics, it is good when they behave appropriately. But sometimes not, as is human nature too.

    Best Wishes
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete